Day 60 / Corrión de Los Condes-Sahagún / 39.15 km

Misery, called Anna for real, didn’t kill me so I wake up after a good sleep. It’s 7.15. I pack my things while talking to Anna, who has bought a secondhand bike to use for the next 4 day’s. It’s her second time on the Camino and she informs me she got somewhat addicted. To proof her point, even her socks have a Camino logo. I say goodbey to my roommate. Go to the bar around the corner, where I had the night before a good salad mixta but a below average “deep freeze” paella (I should have known as the only paella worth eating is in Valencia), and have breakfast. The sky is blue but freezing cold. 


Around 8.15 I start running, a late start, the next village is 17.5 k away with nothing in between, always straight ahead. When I exit the small town the Camino is lined with pilgrims. Yesterday evening I overheared a group of pilgrims about the fact that the next town is 17.5 k away with nothing in between and if it would be save...they were not sure. I overtake one pilgrim(group) after the other. I’m running almost 12k/hour, the result of the 1800 k I ran thus far. After 1 hour running I’m suddenly alone. I left all the walking pilgrims behind me, even the early starters. An other 30 minutes and I’m back in safety. I have survived the great emptiness. I stop at a bar for a drink and something to eat, I’m the only customer except 2 Swedish ladies on a bike. They are heading for León today. I hope to arrive there 2 day’s later.








After my stop I continue to run. The sun is shining, sometimes hiding behind white clouds. If it does it’s cold. I continue to run fast. I reduce speed after a I pass the half marathon distance. I have run 02.06.23. I’m pleased with myself. 








The landscape has changed again. Less rocky, greener, still big fields, the road goes lightly up and down. I’m in a better mood then yesterday and enjoy the landscape. Strangely I don’t see almost any other pilgrims during the rest of the day. It feels like running in France where I was most of the day alone. 

On my left big fields and hills are passing by. On my right I see in the far distance, I gues more then 50 k away, mountains covered with snow. The Picos de Europa, A mountain range in Asturias, the north of Spain. When I check google maps the distance is more then 130 k. The highest peak, the Torre de Corredo, is 2650 meter high. 





Around midday I have a Bocadillo con queso as lunch. I’m the only customer. The sandwich is gigantic so I take a lengthy lunch, finishing it off with coffee and ice cream. Around 13.00 I start at the last 9 k of the day. The route remains beautiful until 4 k before Sahagún where the Camino runs through an industrial area. As it is May 1st no work is ongoing and the area is desolated. Luckily I can kill the time with aa lengthy FaceTime with Jo and the kids. I have booked a private room in a hostal. Before I check, and start the usual post running ritual, I have a drink in a bar next to the hostal. I’m sure a beer is not the best post running drink, but I enjoy it anyway. After a siesta I briefly stroll around in the small city. Most things worth seeing are closed due to May 1st. Luckily the sun is shining and the terraces open. 








Lessons learned : 
- I want to see the Picos de Europa from close by.
- It’s seems to be possible to run the Camino in Spain with not seeing other pilgrims. 
- It’s only 367.31 to Compostela.
- Sahagún is not a Japanese city. 


Comments

  1. Please don't run to fast. I'm already afraid to miss the morning ritual of reading this fantastic blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts