Day 71 / Lalín - Ponte Ulla / 35.45 km

I have a slow start today. Today I plan to run to Ponte Ulla which 35 k away. A short distance compared to the distances covered the last days. Rain is predicted but when I’m looking outside the sky is blue. Today the Camino will be mostly descending and will connect with the Camino Prata which starts in Sevilla. Santiago is nearby. I’m somewhat in a festive mood. 

The path is beautiful. I run on small trails through fields and forests. Sometimes I need to follow a road. Road signs to Santiago appear more and more often. Contrary to the day’s before, the small villages I pass have a bar catering drink and food. Just before the small city, or big village, Silleda I see the first  pilgrims in days, an elderly Spanish couple having walked from Sevilla. In my best Spanish I have a little chat with them and decide to go for a coffee in Silleda. They are 65 and 67 and it’s their 7th Camino, as me they like rather the less populated Camino’s. We talk the usual Camino chitchat : where you from, where did you start, where you a going,...When explain I started in Belgium and ran all the way they look in unbelief and ask if I’m ok...I guarantee them I’m fine. Not sure if they believe me. The couple leaves, I have another drink. After 20minutes running I pass them and wave Buen Camino.









Although grey and cloudy weather was predicted the sun is shining. A cold wind out of the west is blowing. The views remain beautiful often running on a paved road constructed in the 10th century and probably a lot of people have used since then to reach Santiago, although I’m alone I’m not alone.







Since the Camino Invierno joined the Camino La Prata I encounter more pilgrims, mostly Spanish, but not in Camino Frances volumes. Every 30 minutes I see a plain passing by, descending to Santiago Airport. Santiago, even Belgium sounds suddenly very nearby. 



 In the distance I see the predicted rain falling down. Myself, I continue to run in the sun. The last kilometres I run through a forest with a final steep descent to Ponte Ulla, a village which derived it’s name from a bridge. When I’m entering the village and looking for the hotel I booked rain starts pouring down. I shelter under a bridge. After the rain stops I find my hotel. 











A road sign learns me Santiago is only 20k away. Tomorrow morning I start with a climb. After the climb It will be an easy run into Santiago. For those who want an early apero you can find me around 10.30 in front of the Santiago Cathedral. I’m buying.



Lessons learned : 
- it took 2300 k before encountering the first asshole bar owner. 
- taking the Invierno was a good decision. 
- Saturday is my favourite running day thanks to vrt radio 1 !

Comments

Popular Posts